Sunday, April 15, 2007

Interview of Dr. Kiran seth


Excerpts from the interview of founder -chairperson of SPICMACAY,Dr.Kiran seth, Prof-Applied Mathematics, IIT DELHI


How did the idea of SPICMACAY come to you and how was it founded?

When I was studying at Columbia University, I heard a concert of Ustad Aminuddin Dagar and Ustad Fariduddin Dagar. I was deeply affected by it –in fact, I felt that I was moving 1 foot above the ground! In 1976, when I started teaching Operations Research at IIT, Delhi, I asked the class if anybody had heard of Nikhil Banerjee. Nobody had heard of him, let alone listen to him. I felt very sad. Shouldn’t we do something I felt?

In SPICMACAY why do you stress on classical music the most?

Indian classical music has been the most experimented amongst all art forms and has the longest tradition in the world. There is immense freedom but it is also bound within a framework. In life, it is also the same. We can’t have complete freedom, for there would be chaos. And we can’t have only bandhan for that would be bondage.

Also we can reach out to young people through the classical performing arts more easily. The medium is very important and it goes beyond language. So children all over can respond to it.

What is your message to today’s youth?

They are very brilliant. They are focused and much smarter and more aware. However, I feel, two things are lacking in them. One is patience. Often, their questions are ready even before I have completed what I am saying. They ask questions before something has even reached them. So, I feel that they should give themselves some time and go deep. Also have a little more faith. To understand anything of depth, patience and faith are important ingredients. Life is not Maggi noodles or instant coffee…

What is your message to SPICMACAY volunteers?

They should know what they are doing. They should understand the depth of what they are doing. This is not a mere organizational exercise.

What is your vision of SPICMACAY in the future, say about 20 or 50 years from now?

20 years from today I would like SPICMACAY to take young people into much greater depth, through more programs, more workshops and more efforts being made at the primary level. It should have spread geographically and content wise. Not just in big cities and towns but even in villages and schools for the underprivileged. We should realize that food is very important to nourish the body and this is also important- for it nurtures the mind and the soul.

50 years from now, I feel there should be no need for SPICMACAY to exist!